Friday, October 2, 2009

Conference Traditions

Besides watching conference and printing out those conference packets I receive via email, there are two traditions I have for conference weekend. They are to throw out my mascara and make cinnamon rolls. I've been doing both traditions for several years now.

It has been said, and I don't know by whom, women should replace their mascara every six months. My birthday is about 6 months from Christmas so I could've used that as a guide, however both are busy times for me. So I found conference happens to be a great time to do that. It's always the first Sunday (Saturday and Sunday) in April and October. It's more reliable than daylight savings time and it's not that busy of a weekend for me. I've heard we should replace lipsticks about as often.. I once read that Jackie O only used a tube of lipstick once. It was as if once it had her germs it was no longer good. Perhaps it was donated to the poor women who can't afford to buy their own new lipsticks. One would hope not, however as charitable as the Kennedy's seemed to be, I would expect such a thing. Anyhow, I digress. I do not toss my lipsticks until they are gone. Sometimes, I'll mix the leftover with some petroleum jelly to make lip gloss, but's for another blog.

My second tradition is to make cinnamon rolls. It all started when I told years ago (by the ex) that there was a talk given at Priesthood Session where the wife and family of this speaker would make donuts every conference weekend and the whole family would enjoy them once he (the speaker) came home from Priesthood. It was some sort of incentive to go. I've never heard nor read the talk, perhaps it was about traditions or the importance of making it to Priesthood (no matter how big or little the bribe.) Anyhow, from that day forward, I decided to attempt the task of rewarding my man for going to Priesthood. It started with mini-fried biscuit donuts that my mom used to make. And then the guy stopped going to Priesthood and church so there was no need to offer the reward.

Then I heard about Krispy Kreme donuts. Yummy. So after he was gone (from my life,) I continued the tradition for my boys. I explained to them that they were too little to go then, however I would buy KK donuts every conference weekend. Then I married Joe and he added to the tradition and without fail he always went. He really didn't need the reinforcement, but it was still fun to buy KK donuts with the boys. Then KK went out of business in AZ. Oh no! What was I going to do?

That's when I started making cinnamon rolls. KK is now back in business, but my cinnamon rolls win hands down. Over the years, I've perfected the recipe. Tweaking something here and finding we like it, or finding something we did not. I found any basic roll dough works, but I find the ones for the bread machine are easiest. I usually make two batches. The frosting recipe I always use is found
here . Unfortunately, writing this blog, I found this site has now been removed or blocked, but I have saved a copy of the recipe. If you google "Gordon Family Cinnabon" you might have luck finding it elsewhere or you can email me for my complete recipe (dough, filling and frosting.) The only change I have on the frosting is the extract flavoring (I have yet to try lemon, but will this year. And I have used almond, too.) For the filling I've decided I like more than any recipe calls for so here's my filling recipe:
FILLING
1 cup packed brown sugar
7 tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 cup margarine, softened. (Cinnabon prefers margarine, however margarine is one molecule from plastic, so I always use butter)

My two conference traditions have gotten me far. By swapping my mascara, I follow experts and prevent possible eye infections. And by making cinnamon rolls, I encourage my men to do their duties. So this conference you'll find me in new mascara wearing an apron baking in the kitchen. Anyone want some warm gooey cinnamon rolls?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi. I use to have a copy of the Gordon families Cinnabon recipe but it was lost when the hard drive on my computer fried. Would you please be kind enough to email it to me. Thank you in advance! that recipe is irreplacable!

missy@thelejmans.com