Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I did not invent this recipe. I have found it online in many places. I originally found it connected to the Duggar's family website. I suppose I could just link to the recipe on their site however I want you to read my blog. I've even looked up the ingredients of the ingredients and created an ingredient listing you can add to bottles if you decide to give it away as a gift. We make this as a family, I do most of the work, but everyone has helped. We've made it twice so far and it lasts our family of 6 about 8-9 months. It would probably last a little longer because we gave some bottles away the first time. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 Fels Naptha soap bar, grated
1 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borax

Essential oil for scent if desired



Instructions:

Grate the soap bar (I use a food processor, but it's soft enough to do by hand – here's where the little helpers come in)

Add to a sauce pan filled with about 2 cups of hot water. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring continually, until the soap completely dissolves. The soap will try to blend together during the stirring process, just keep stirring until it's completely dissolved.

Put washing soda and borax in a 5-gallon bucket. Fill to top with hot water. Pour in the hot, melted soap mixture. Stir well, until all the powder is dissolved. Cover and let set overnight. The next morning, stir the mixture. Mix equal amounts of soap concentrate and water in smaller laundry-detergent dispensers or containers. Shake before using. I add a couple of drops of essential oils to individual containers of detergent. Scents to try are lavender, rosemary, anise, or tea tree.



Directions for use: Use C for top load and ½C for front load machines. I measure the caps of the detergent bottles I use and then compare to above measurements. Usually a cap full is enough, but some caps are smaller than others.



Picture of mixture once it's done.  These are helpful so you'll know yours is right.  It will get thick as it sits.



Ingredient listing:
Ingredients: Water, Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Borate, Soap (Stoddard solvent, Fatty acids, C8-C18 and C18-unsaturated, sodium salts, Hydrocarbons, terpene processing by-products~Terpene processing by-products)










Legal Disclaimer: Harmful if swallowed. Possible eye and skin irritant. As with all cleaning products, keep crystals and solution out of reach of children and pets. Avoid contact with eyes and mucous membranes or prolonged contact with sun. In case of eye contact, flush with water for 15 minutes and call a physician. Do not ingest. If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Drink a glassful of water and seek prompt medical attention. 

2 comments:

sweetvictorya said...

I am making soap today. This time I am trying to make it with Zote soap. It's a Mexican Laundry soap I found for $1. I've tried the recipe with Irish Spring before so I wanted to see if Zote would work too. I probably won't use it for another month or 2 since I still have another a couple laundry bottles left of the old soap, but I don't have extras (other containers) on the shelf.

Anonymous said...

Today I am making it with Liria soap.