Monday, November 23, 2009

Sedona Pines Resort

I bought into this timeshare in 1999 with my first year starting in 2000. I have been going there every year since. I never trade. I own it free and clear and pay $460 each year (has gone up from 300 something since) as a maintenance fee. We own the week usage not the points. We can "upgrade" to points if we want to pay another $10k+. We own a one-bedroom although our family size is a two-bedroom. We bought because we were told they are very family-friendly.

We bought a one-bedroom for a couple of reasons. One reason is their second bedroom is outside across the patio and is connected by a wall to another unit's second-bedroom and with our boys being little we didn't really want them in a unit outside our own. Another reason is it costs significantly more for a second bedroom than a one-bedroom. The final reason is that the maintenance fee is also more each year. As our boys get older a second-bedroom does sound nicer to us, however we still don't feel comfortable giving the boys that kind of freedom. The one-bedroom does have a sofa bed and for years the boys have been sharing it all facing different directions. This year Adam brought a sleeping bag and slept on the floor next to the couch. We brought a crib mattress for Sam and he slept on that next to our bed. When the boys leave the nest, a one-bedroom will be sufficient for the two of us. The boys could also use it (as a week or bonus time) when they get married (honeymoons, family vacation, etc.)

Every year they offer a variety of events for their guests. They have Buckaroo Bob, a cowboy who plays his guitar and sings entertaining cowboy songs. They have a Native American flute concert. Every day they offer various arts & crafts. They used to have a kid's ice cream and face painting event, but this year it is off the calendar. They have a miniature golf tournament, which one of us wins each year. They have a welcome breakfast. The welcome breakfast is a breakfast where tour guides come and talk about the many tours options available in Sedona. There are the Pink Jeep tours, haunted tours of Jerome, multiple trips to The Grand Canyon, and of course, vortex tours. During the breakfast they have a raffle for prizes. Some of the prizes are buy-one-get-one-free passes to the various tour companies, water bottles, apple cider/champagne, calendar, maps, books and music. We've won some of the prizes over the years. The last couple of years they have not given us raffle tickets for the kids (they used to.) This year when we checked in they did not tell us when the welcome breakfast was. I overheard them tell the previous guest so I had a good idea when it was. I also had Adam call down to the front desk and check and he was given the incorrect time. When we showed up today to go to the breakfast, we arrived early so that the boys could eat and we could leave before the presentation. The presentation is boring for kids and they've seen it multiple times so they don't tend to be very reverent after they eat. The lady at the restaurant (on-site Bistro) was very nice and seated us at a table for 6. When the concierges arrived they seemed annoyed that we were there. They had a brief discussion with each other and came over and asked if we were planning to stay or just there for breakfast. I told them our plans so they had us moved to another table out of the way so the other guests could enjoy the presentation. After the breakfast today, Joe took Sam in the sales office to use the restroom. Afterwards, Sam ran into the sales office to see the big television. Joe grabbed him and tried to get out of there without causing any disturbance (we walk on eggshells here) and the sales guy offered them bagels and fruit and sodas. Different world when they think they are going to sell you something.

I don't mind them being considerate of other guests; however I feel they don't like us and are annoyed that we come every year. My maintenance fee helps pay their salaries, pay for the breakfast and pay for the amenities here. Just because we choose to use our timeshare time at our home resort every year doesn't mean I shouldn't be given the same courtesy as those that trade and visit for the first time. Just because we don't need to spend money on the tours doesn't mean we can't be treated with respect when we make our own trips. I know the boys are difficult at times and probably annoy the people that work here and they probably agonize over our stay, however we shouldn't feel that they hate it when we come. We should feel that even if we drive them crazy, they love to have us visit, that they look forward to our coming. We shouldn't feel like we pay them money every year because it's our obligation. If we didn't pay our maintenance fee they could foreclose and take the unit time back. I am sure there is a special clause somewhere that exists or they'll invent that will allow them to foreclose on us.

Here is my invitation to all. I have free RV use at the park that I never use. As long as you can "obey the rules" and not cause any monetary damage to the property, if you own an RV and would like to stay at the resort in their RV spots, let me know. I will check availability and if available it's yours to use for up to a week (possibly two, but that cannot be requested in advance.) No charge, unless you feel obligated to pay me something.

One day, when I have lots of money and tons of time, I will rejoin RCI and trade and go somewhere else. I just have not found it worthwhile to pay for RCI membership (less than about $100/year) and then pay to trade (about $150 or so) and pay my maintenance fee. That would make a one-week stay price go from $460/year to $700. When I go on vacation outside of Sedona and I stay in a hotel, I spend less than my maintenance fee. So I still don't understand why timeshares are cheaper.

If anyone owns a timeshare and is willing to trade without involving RCI or II, let me know and we can trade with each other. My week is any time during the year. I usually reserve it in advance when I know what time I have off this year. I am planning to book it next year for December or October (when I am off), but if someone wants to trade and can work with my time off schedule (open week like mine is) then I can reserve my resort for any time. I'd prefer a location within driving distance to Phoenix, unless only Joe and I go, then as long as we can get there by airplane than almost anywhere is fine. You'd be able to use all the amenities and I am sure they'll be nice to you when you attend the welcome breakfast, since you are new.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good place for vacation!!!!

Nice resort with beautiful garden,
fantastic park and pool. I got a best deal by the SMA timeshare for this resort. I spend most of my time near by pool and enjoyed allot!!!